Medication abortion (also called the abortion pill, MifeprexTm) is FDA approved for up to 70 days (10 weeks pregnant) after the start of your last menstrual period. The typical cost for the abortion pill near Gadsden County is $500-$700.
- It’s called RU-486 and was approved by the FDA in 2000; it is also called a medical or chemical abortion.
- The “pill” is actually a protocol that involves taking two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, which are taken on two different days.
- Because of complications, the FDA has special safety instructions and monitors distribution carefully.1
- The FDA strongly cautions against the use of mifepristone obtained over the Internet.2
- The abortion pill is not the same as the emergency contraception (The Morning After Pill or Plan B One Step).
How it works: The first medication, mifepristone, blocks progesterone. Progesterone is a hormone that is necessary for the pregnancy to survive. Without progesterone, the embryo eventually dies over the next several days. The second medication, misoprostol, causes bleeding and cramping, expelling the embryo and uterine contents.
Side effects: Cramping and bleeding are expected. Bleeding lasts an average of 9 to 16 days. Other possible side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, chills, weakness, dizziness and headache.
Complications: In 1% of women, bleeding is so heavy a surgical procedure called a D&C is required to stop the bleeding. Life-threatening infection has occurred in a small number of women who used the abortion pill protocol. Before taking any medication, you should discuss the risks with your doctor and know what to do if complications arise.
Follow-up: It is important to follow-up with your doctor 1 to 2 weeks after taking this medication regime to see if an abortion has occurred and to assess for complications.
What if I change my mind? The first drug in the protocol is called mifepristone. Miferistone blocks progesterone, which is needed to sustain a growing pregnancy. A new protocol, known as the Abortion Pill Reversal, has been developed that uses natural progesterone to reverse the abortion and rescue the pregnancy. Recent studies have shown a success rate above 60% if the progesterone is started within 72 hours of taking the first abortion pill. It may not be too late, for more information visit theabortionpillreversal.
Information taken from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2016). “Mifeprex Medication Guide.” U.S. Department of Health. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/mifeprex-mifepristone-information
2. Viability is generally considered about 24 weeks from a woman’s LMP. See https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/overview-abortion-laws
UNPLANNED PREGNANCY CONFIRMATION
If you are considering abortion, an ultrasound will provide important information that will tell you more about your options.
THIS CAN ANSWER THREE MAJOR QUESTIONS:
- Is the pregnancy in the uterus?
- How far along are you?
- Is there a fetal heartbeat?
This information is critical regardless of what options you may be considering. Speak with our staff today. Schedule a confidential appointment – at no cost to you.
NO COST & NO INSURANCE
At your appointment, you will be provided a lab-quality pregnancy test. If positive, you will be offered a free and confidential ultrasound. An ultrasound can confirm a viable pregnancy and estimate how far along you are.
The content on this page has been reviewed and approved by our Medical Director.